Saturday, March 1, 2008

First Mini-Vacation of 2008


My good friend and fellow Robot Builder, Greg L., and I have been planning a trip to Florida in March with two goals in mind, First to attend MegaCon Sci-Fi Convention and meet up with some friends I met last year. I met Bob May, the actor that was inside the Robot from the 1960's TV Show, Lost in Space. Second, to visit the Kennedy Space Center and see the Lost in Space B9 Robot Replica made by B9 Creations out of South Dakota. That was the whole trip, two days. Well it's now been stretched to 5 Day with side trip to Epcot Center at Disney World and will be topped off with a VIP NASA Tour all day Monday to see the NASA Facilities. This tour includes the visits to the Orbitor Processing Facilities, the Vehicle Assembly Building, The Shuttle Landing Facility, a trip out to the launch pad to view the shuttle as it sits ready to be launched. Then on Tuesday morning, at 2:31am, we get watch the launch of the Space Shuttle Endeavour, Mission STS-123 from the Shuttle Launch VIP Viewing Area at Banana Creek which is about two miles from the launch pad. Of course it all depends on if NASA doesn't have any problems and all systems stay green and the weather cooperates. Needles to say we are very pumped up for this trip. Last year my wife and I took our second trip to Australia and I got the honor to meet John Saxon who worked for NASA during the 1969 Moon Landing. He gave me a fantastic tour of the now defunct Honeysuckle Creek Station and consolidated Canberra Deep Space Communications Complex. It was mind boggling to say the least and it's a trip I shall forever remember. I'll be updating this blog in the near future with pictures and stories from the trip. Right now it's a mad scramble to get the Robot completed for RoboCon in just 49 days!!

No comments: